Question about Missionary Training for missionaries:

"I know that a theology degree can prevent you from being admitted into some countries. Would a "closed country" overlook this and admit you because they want English teachers?"

"Yes, in some cases."

Answer from Jeremy, who served in Asia for three years.

It depends on how much that country wants teachers. I would say yes, for some countries. Our country requires a copy of the undergrad certificate. If the name of your school isn't openly Christian, a theology degree can be explained as a study of a philosophy of living. That has been a successful and well-understood explanation for some of our co-workers.

Editor's note: Check with the school you attend or are considering to see if they have encountered this issue before and found a good solution. It may not be as much of a problem as you think.

Were these answers helpful? Pass it along:

Subscribe to the AskaMissionary Newsletter

More information and a sample issue can be found on our newsletter page.