Mission Events & Courses
Consider weekend retreats to deepen your relationship with Jesus and explore how you could become a missionary.
A list of missions events, primarily those in North America, is compiled by Missions Catalyst. Mission courses and events in the UK are listed by the UK world mission information service, OSCAR. Both also list some global events. Subscribe to the Brigada Today e-newsletter to read about upcoming events soon after they are announced.
For missions conferences with thousands of attendees and many agencies look at:
- Mission ConneXion Northwest
- Missions Fest Seattle
- Missionfest Conferences in Canada
- Urbana student missions conference
- Global Missions Health Conference
Training and Courses
General Missions Education
Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, provided by the US Center for World Mission in cooperation with local churches, is a semester-long course offered in many cities across the U.S.and around the world. Also available online and in week-long intensives.
Kingdom Expansion 101, provided by DualReach, is a six-session online intro-to-missions course designed with church mission leaders and volunteers in mind. You can work through it individually or with a group.
Operation Worldview, from Mission ONE, includes eight one-hour mission education sessions for churches and small groups.
Other small group studies include:
- God's Heart for the Nations, by Jeff Lewis
- Missions: God's Heart for the World, by Paul Borthwick
- Xplore Study, from Every Ethne (designed for student groups)
Focused on Muslims
- Encountering the World of Islam, a semester-long course on Islam patterned after Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, is offered in various locations as well as online. The course seeks to give a working knowledge of the Islamic faith and an understanding of how to share with Muslims the life of Christ.
- The Zwemer Institute for Muslim Studies, now part of Columbia International University, offers semester and week-long courses in understanding Muslims, Islam, the Qur'an, etc. Many of them are available online.
- Horizons International provides a variety of training programs in Muslim-focused evangelism.
Missionary Training Courses
Some people who want to serve cross-culturally go to Bible school and/or seminary first, though this is not always necessary. For various perspectives on what kind of training missionaries need, see the training section of AskaMissionary.
Graduate or undergraduate degrees in missions (sometimes known as intercultural, international, or global studies) are available from schools such as these:
- Bethany College of Missions
- Biola University
- Columbia International University
- John Brown University
- Moody Bible Institute
- Multnomah University
- Wheaton University
- Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics
Several excellent ministries provide one and two-week courses in language and culture acquisition techniques, conflict management, and other key aspects of missionary preparedness. Check out the options available from:
- Missionary Training International in Colorado
- Mission Prep in Toronto
- TRAIN International in Missouri
- Center for Intercultural Training in North Carolina
- Institute for Cross-Cultural Training at Wheaton College in Illinois
- WorldView Center in Oregon.
Additional training programs include these three:
- Explore, provided by All Nations Christian College in the UK, is a 13-week online mission training course designed to provide a foundation for cross-cultural services. En Route is the 10-week residential course on which it is based. All Nations provide a variety of other training options as well.
- HEART, provided by Warner Southern College in Florida, is a 15-week program focused on cultural adaptation, technical training, and practical community development training to equip those going to serve in less developed nations.
- King University in Tennessee offers one and two-week workshops on topics that interest cross-cultural workers, especially topics related to health care.
A growing number of mission agencies and networks provide programs that function as internships or apprenticeships, blending training and field experience. Four good examples:
- TOAG (Training Ordinary Apprentices to Go) is a ten-month program offered in many U.S. cities which includes reaching out to internationals.
- The Guild places apprentices in ethnic communities of Los Angeles for 8-12 months.
- Beautiful Feet Boot Camp is a ten-month missionary training program for those called to long-term service among the unreached.
- Café 1040 is a three-month intense immersion and training program that places participants in teams overseas.
Many missionaries profit from Sharpening Your Interpersonal Skills Workshops. These workshops are designed to equip participants with skills in building community, managing relationships and navigating the conflict and stress inherent in cross-cultural ministry.
Many get training in support raising from the ministries which they are joining, and/or read a book, but specialized training from an organization focused on the process can be very helpful as well. Here are two good places to look:
- Personal Support Raising Boot Camp is an intense two-day training seminar helps Christian workers get to their ministry assignment quickly and fully funded. Participants prepare extensively and the seminar leader helps them to apply the tools and principles they learned during their preparation.
- Kingdom Come Training provides 18 hours of online, skill-focused training that equips participants to share their story effectively with potential partners. It is followed up by coaching and accountability designed to help them get to 100% within six months.
Professional Skills and Tentmaking
Global Opportunities offers seminars, conferences, and courses in using your professional skills overseas.
YWAM's Business as Mission Resource Team offers a three-week and five-week Introduction to Business as Mission (IBAM) course as well as three-day conferences.
Crisis Response Training
Going into a dangerous situation? Someone in your group may want to get specialized training from Crisis Consulting International. Learn how to survive a hostage crisis, manage public relations in times of crisis, and more.