Questions about Guidance for Missionaries
Signs of Divine Direction
- How can I know if God is leading me to become a missionary?
- What are the advantages of long-term missions?
- I have received a variety of dreams that indicate God may want me in missions. But otherwise I have no interest in missions.
Opposition and Obstacles
- What unexpected obstacles or doubts did you experience becoming a missionary?
- How can I prepare for missions when others try to discourage me?
- What words of encouragement would you give to those who are looking into full-time missions?
- What is hard about life as a missionary?
- Can I become a missionary if I fear going overseas?
- Can I become a missionary even though I am divorced?
- Can we become missionaries if we have some health problems?
- Can a family with severe food allergies become full-time missionaries? My spouse and two children under two years have a severe allergy to gluten (celiac disease).
- Can I become a missionary if I have a speech impediment?
- Can I become a missionary even though I am deaf?
- Can I become a missionary if I am over forty years old?
- Can I become a missionary even though I’ve made a ton of mistakes in life?
- Will a criminal record keep me from becoming a missionary?
- Can I become a missionary if I have limited education?
- Would someone with piercings or tattoos encounter problems on the mission field (in terms of culture or religion or from sending agencies)?
- When it comes to interpersonal relationships with fellow missionaries, what should I expect? Will we get along?
- Are there missionaries who have gone even though initially they had no desire to go?
- Can a person become a missionary who has experienced traumas in childhood?
- What should I do if my church is not supportive of missions?
- Is it acceptable for a missionary appointee (someone who hasnít been to the field yet but is preparing) to leave his current church and join a new one because of lack of support?
The Ways and Means of Service
- How much should I consider the needs of the world and my gifts?
- I donít sense God leading me to become a missionary. Is it selfish for me to send financial and prayer support and not go myself?
- Can I use my profession and technical skills as a missionary?
- Can I serve international missions and still live full-time in my home country?
- Will I have to give up my hobbies and interests, or can they be used in missions?
- What personality types make the best missionaries? Could I be a good missionary if I am an introvert?
Where in the World?
- Should I wait for guidance to a specific country?
- How do I discover the country or people group God is leading me to serve?
- Should I go on a short-term missions trip just to try it out?
- How do I decide between becoming a missionary in a foreign country versus missions involvement from home?
- Iíve always lived in an urban area. How hard is it to adjust to a rural or jungle environment?
- Should I go where I already know the language?
- What are ways to learn about cultures, peoples, and places Iím interested in or going to visit?
The Time Is Right
- How long should I plan to go Ė one year, two years, or longer?
- How can I know Godís timing?
- What are some of the first steps to becoming a missionary?
- How long does it take between deciding to go and actually going?
- Should we rent or sell our home before moving overseas?
- Is it better for our family to ship our furniture overseas or to buy replacements on the field?
- When a country becomes politically unstable should Westerners leave?
Didn't find what you were looking for?
These are questions with answers already online. If your question is not listed, search or ask a new question at the bottom of this page. Remember many questions are best answered by those in your church.
- Browse other websites with missions answers: Urbana's Ask Jack
- Ask a new question about missions one year or longer.
- Or view other topics on this website