Questions about Professional Skills for Missionaries
Questions Professionals Ask
- What training do you recommend for a future tentmaker?
- What are tentmaking, business as mission, and business for transformation all about? Are they all the same thing?
- I’ve graduated in a professional field. How much theological training do I need to serve in missions?
- I have a heart for both my profession, in medicine, and church planting. How do I choose between these? Or can I do both?
- What are the ethical implications of going into a closed country as a professional but with the ultimate goal of doing something that may be illegal, like preaching the gospel?
- Can I serve in an NGO or the Peace Corps and still do lifestyle evangelism?
Using Your Art Skills
- I am an art major and I want to serve overseas. Will my art be helpful in church planting among the unreached?
- How can God use writing, photography, or journalism in missions?
- How can a music degree be used in missions? Are there any unique opportunities for musicians?
- Are there opportunities to use fine art skills in mission? Are ministry jobs in the arts hard to find?
- What could I do with a business degree in missions overseas?
- How can I use my marketing degree in missions?
- How can I learn more about using microenterprise projects for missions in developing countries?
Medical Mission and Healthcare
- I’m just beginning university and I’m interested in healthcare. Do you recommend I become a physician, nurse, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant?
- I’m just beginning university and I’m interested in healthcare. How could I use overseas physical therapy, occupational therapy, pharmacy, community development, or public health?
- I’m a medical student. What specialty do you recommend for healthcare missions?
- What is the most needed medical specialty on the mission field?
- How can I be trained as a missionary health provider for the third world?
- How do I find an agency in healthcare missions that fits me?
- I’m in nursing. Should I get further training in community health, home health, pediatrics, or obstetrics, etc? Should I get a master’s degree? Should I get hospital experience here before I go overseas?
- I want to be a missionary who does more than just medical or nursing care. How do I deal with the time constraints of a busy profession and still have a personal witness and assist in church planting?
- I’m a resident physician. Should I get more clinical experience here before I go overseas? What about an MPH? Should I do a fellowship in infectious disease? Can a physician be "too" trained?
- I am a speech therapist and I want to serve overseas. How could I use this in missions?
- Can I use a veterinary degree in missions?
- I am looking into graduate school in nursing. Is there more of a need for Nurse Midwives or Nurse Practitioners, or would a dual degree be best?
- I’m interested in becoming a missionary midwife. What kind of opportunities are there for midwives? What training do I need?
- Can a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) practice medical missions internationally? Or only a MD? Is there much room for medical missions as an osteopathic physician?
English and Education
- How could I use an education degree in missions?
- I want to teach English (TESL). I am fluent but I am not a native speaker. What training do I need?
- To teach English overseas should I get a master’s degree or a certificate?
Social Work and Counseling
- Can a counselor or psychologist use those skills in missions?
- I am interested in social work and sociology. How could I use this in missions?
Science and Engineering
- I am in engineering. How could I use this in missions?
- How can providing clean water fit with missions?
- I work in the sciences and am wondering about positions for scientists in missions. How can someone use their training as a chemist, biologist, or pharmacist as part of a ministry overseas?
Other Fields and Skills
- What kind of opportunities are there for pilots, airplane mechanics, and other aviation specialists to serve in missions?
- Is there a mission organization that can use my experience as a police officer?
- My son is pursuing a degree in computer science. Is there a need for this in the mission field?
Professional Skills Resources
Didn't find what you were looking for?
These are questions with answers already online. If your question is not listed, search or ask a new question at the bottom of this page. Remember many questions are best answered by those in your church.
- Browse other websites with mission answers: Urbana’s blog
- Ask a new question about missions one year or longer.
- Or view other topics on this website